Dementia and Alzheimer’s can be stressful and confusing for those suffering from it and for their loved ones. Luckily a few years ago California put a system into place to help locate sufferers who have wandered away from the surroundings they are most familiar with. It is called a Silver Alert, much like an Amber Alert, this system is designed to alert law enforcement, the media and the public about the missing person. They mainly utilize the electronic billboards along the highway. The sign displays information on the lost person and a contact number. This system has proven incredibly effective.
Although there are systems in place to help locate loved ones, here are a few steps you can take to minimize the chance they will need to be found after wandering off.
- Create a daily routine, a routine provides structure that is easy to remember.
- Plan activities during the times of day they are most prone to wandering
- Reassure the person that they are in a safe place if they appear to feel lost or disoriented.
- Avoid Busy Places.
- Place locks out of the line of sight
- Paint doors and door knobs the same color as the walls.
- Install alarms that will alert you when a door or window is opened.
- Keep your car keys in a secure location out of sight.