As a resident in any type of home, wouldn’t it be great to reduce the cost of utility bills in the long-run? Manufactured homes produced in recent years are able to be designed in a way that allows them to be energy-efficient, much like a traditional home. If you already live in a manufactured home, you can make modifications to it so that you can improve its energy efficiency. The following are several changes you can make to your manufactured home to prevent heat loss, provided by the US Department of Energy:
- Install energy-efficient windows and doors
- Add insulation to the belly
- Make general repairs (caulking, ducts, etc.)
- Add insulation to your walls
- Install insulated skirting
- Install a belly wrap
- Add insulation to your roof or install a roof cap.
The US Department of Energy reported that the National Renewable Energy Laboratory conducted experiments by making these modifications on pre-1976 manufactured homes, and found that there was a 31% reduction in heating fuel usage.
There are many more modifications you can make on your mobile home so that it can be energy efficient. Be sure to visit their website to read the full and detailed information, and also discuss your ideas with your park manager before starting a project.
…That local hospitals provide free educational programs? The topics covered in these programs include maternity, parenthood, cancer support, personal wellness and health, and many more. Most of these classes require registration beforehand by phone or via their website, and they also offer classes that are more than informational, thus require you to pay a fee upon registering. And depending on the hospital, there are even programs that are offered in Spanish.
If you are interested in attending a free program, make sure to call your local hospital or visit their website to see what type of classes are offered. Below are links to a few hospitals in the MHET area.
San Bernardino County:
It is important to make sure your roof and rain gutters are in good repair before rainy season arrives! According to Foremost Insurance, if your mobile home has a metal roof it needs a new coating every 2 years and touch-ups after a storm. Their step-by-step guide teaches you to make repairs on your own roof so that you don’t have to hire a professional every 2 years. They list all the materials you need and present the following steps:
- Check the weather
- Inspect the roof
- Clean the roof
- Make repairs
- Rinse and check for puddling
- Coat seams
- Coat the roof
Thank you to Foremost Insurance website for this valuable information. Be sure to click on the link below to read the detailed information.
Image Credit: http://www.askgeorgeparks.com/orange-county-roof-tips/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/detail_1104_cnx_coolroof.jpg
Better Ways to Spend Your Lunch and Dinner Money
Do you know how much money you spend on eating out every year? Let’s say that you eat out twice a week for lunch, and each meal is about $10. You would be spending about $1,000 a year on buying lunch. What if you also ate out for dinner twice a week, and each meal was about $15? You would be spending about $1,500 a year for buying dinner, and would be spending a total of $2,500 on eating out annually. And, those $3 cups of coffee each day?! Let’s say just three times a week, which adds another $468 a year for a total of $2,968! And the numbers would definitely be a lot higher if you are paying for your significant other or your family members or if you choose more expensive restaurants every once in a while.
There are many benefits of making lunch and dinner yourself, and one of the most obvious reasons is that you would be saving a lot of money in the long-run. If you are able to cut back on eating out, there are a few different ways you can spend that money so that it benefits you.
- Start an emergency fund — Having an emergency fund can help you in many situations. You can use it when you or your loved ones have health problems, when there is a natural disaster, or when you are faced with car repairs, as a few examples. Having an emergency fund can put your mind at ease when you face unexpected situations.
- Pay your bills — Millions of Americans have outstanding bills or debt to pay. Think about your loans, credit card bills, mortgage, hospital bills, or utility bills. Although the money you save from eating in may not be enough to pay off all your bills and debt, it does help to pay a little bit more every month.
- Put it in your retirement fund — If you have not retired yet, you should be contributing some money in your retirement fund. You can put a few dollars more into your account each month and watch it grow.
- Invest it – There are many ways to invest your money. A child’s education is one alternative investment. Perhaps the money you save from eating out can go towards paying for your child or your grandchild’s education, such as tutoring or summer school.
- Save for a Special Vacation — Perhaps you are doing well on having funds or paying bills. Another option is to save for an extra special vacation.
- Save for Next Holiday Gift Giving – Make next holiday a little easier on the budget by saving now.