The California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) and the Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) programs, provide discounts for income-qualified customers.
The CARE program provides a discount of approximately 30 percent on monthly electric bills for eligible customers. And the FERA program gives a reduced monthly discount for income-qualified households of three or more based on energy usage. Rates are structured by the California Public Utilities Commission.
Two Ways to Find Out if You Qualify
Option 1: Public Assistance Programs
You can qualify for CARE if you or someone in your home participates in at least one of these public assistance programs:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- CalFresh/SNAP (Food Stamps)
- CalWorks (TANF)/Tribal TANF
- Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
- Medi-Cal for Families (Healthy Families A&B)
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Option 2: Household Income
You can also qualify for CARE or FERA if you meet the low-income requirements.
Please contact your community manager for more information and an application. Your electric and gas utility provider will also have information on these programs.