Rental Assistance for Low Income Mobile Home Owners

If you are struggling to pay your rent there is a program in Orange County that was set-up to assist you while you wait for a Section 8 housing voucher to become available. It is a privately funded program, sponsored by local Park Owners and administered by MHET. You must meet specific guidelines to qualify for the program. If you feel you may qualify or would like more information or to request an application packet please call the Mobile Home Rental Assistance Program (RAP) 949-380-3311.

To find out if the MHET Rental assistance program is offered in your area contact 949-380-3311 or e-mail

Mobile Home Assistance Program

Orange County Eligibility Guidelines

To qualify for temporary rental assistance sponsored by MHET, all of the following guidelines need to be met.  If you meet these criteria, you may be eligible to receive a subsidy equal to 10% of your monthly space rent.  To request an application to apply for rental assistance call (949) 380-3311 or write to the address above.

  1. The applicant needs to be a homeowner who has owned and lived in the mobilehome and community they are currently residing in for at least the past three consecutive years.
  2. Applicants need to meet the very low-income guidelines* used by the local Housing Authority for the Section 8 rental assistance program (Gross annual income from all sources is 50% of the median income or less).
  3. Applicants must meet one or more of the following criteria: (1) be at least 62 years of age or older; (2) be a family of two or more; (3) or be disabled.
  4. Monthly housing costs (rent, mortgage and utilities: gas, water, electric, trash, sewer) need to exceed 40% of the total monthly income of all residents in the home.
  5. Real property (land, rental property, second home, etc.) may not exceed $10,000.
  6. Personal property (bank accounts, automobiles, stocks and bonds, jewelry, etc.), except for the mobile home in which the applicant lives, may not exceed $20,000.
  7. The applicant does not receive assistance from any other rental assistance program.
  8. The space on which the applicant resides is not regulated by rent control and not more than 10% of the residents in the Park are already receiving assistance.
  9. All of the forms provided in the Rental Assistance Application packet must be completed with every question answered.
  10. The applicant must be in compliance with the park rules and regulations and the mobile home or manufactured home may not be in foreclosure by any financial institution or in bankruptcy proceedings.

* Qualification guidelines for Section 8 (for more information call Orange County Housing Authority at (714) 480-2700). Current gross annual income from all sources within the following limits for family size:

1 person         $34,150                     5 people        $52,650

2 people         $39,000                     6 people        $56,550

3 people         $43,900                     7 people        $60,450

4 people         $48,750                     8+ people      $64,350

This assistance program is strictly voluntary on the part of the park owners and may be changed, revised, or discontinued at any time with or without notice.

25241 Paseo de Alicia • Suite 120 • Laguna Hills, CA 92653 • (949) 380-3311

Manufactured Home Owner FAQ’s

A 90-day written notice of rent increase was delivered late. Is this notice legal?

No. The MRL provides for residents to receive the 90-day written notice of a rent increase before the date of the increase. (Civil Code §798.30) Any notice required by the MRL shall either be delivered and received in-person or by U.S. mail, postage prepaid. (Civil Code §798.14) Actual receipt of the notice less than 90 days before the increase is not a 90-day notice.

Can the park charge residents for back-rent that was miscalculated because of the manager’s mistake?

It depends on the situation. If the park rental agreement or lease stipulates the monthly rent for the term of the lease, and there is no provision in the lease for a contingency, such as an increase due to management error, then back-rent could not be charged. However, if residents have signed a rental agreement that provides that back-rent may be charged in the event of a management miscalculation or error, then the additional rent could be charged with a 90-day notice.

Can the park owner require a deposit or fee for use of the clubhouse by the homeowners association?

No, however there are certain exceptions. The MRL provides that a park rental agreement or rule or regulation shall not deny a homeowner or resident the right to hold meetings for a lawful purpose in the clubhouse at reasonable times and in a reasonable manner, when the facility is not otherwise in use. (Civil Code §798.51(a)(1)) Homeowners or residents may not be charged a cleaning deposit or require liability insurance in order to use the clubhouse for meetings relating to mobilehome living or for social or educational purposes and to which all homeowners are allowed to attend. (Civil Code §798.51(b)) However, the park may require a liability insurance binder when alcoholic beverages are served. (Civil Code §798.51(c)) If a homeowner reserves the clubhouse for a private function to which all park residents are not invited, the park could charge a fee or deposit.

Can the park charge first and last months’ rent plus a 2-month security deposit?

Normally, when a mobilehome owner is accepted for residency in a mobilehome park and signs a rental agreement, charging first month’s rent and a 2-month security deposit are permitted. (Civil Code §798.39) After one full year of satisfactory residency (meaning all rent and fees have been paid during that time), the resident is entitled to request a refund of the 2-month security deposit, or may request a refund at the time he or she vacates the park and sells the home. (Civil Code §798.39(b))

Planning a Vacation? Protect your home by using these easy steps

Many people travel during summer or the holidays in order to see family or escape the crowds. They often leave a light on and have a neighbor pick up their mail but here are a few more tips and tricks to fooling people into thinking someone is home.

About 1 week before you leave:

  • Request a “house watch” from your local sheriff’s office. They will drive by periodically to make sure nothing looks suspicious. The increased police presence will help deter criminals.
  • Be cautious about announcing vacation plans on social media.
  • Have your newspaper stopped so they don’t pile up. Many people ask neighbors to collect them but they often collect for a few days before your neighbors stop by to grab them.
  • If it will be a long vacation arrange for someone to stop by and mow the lawn. This will help to avoid the “vacant” look.
  • Move all jewelry and cash into a safe deposit box at the bank.
  • Turn down the ringer volume on your phone or turn it off so it cannot be heard outside. This way people do not hear the phone ring without ever being answered.
  • Place your lights on a timer. When your home is lit it deters people who are not supposed to be there from hanging around.
  • Make sure all windows and door are locked

How does the county assessor determine the value of my manufactured home?

Manufactured homes are subject to Proposition 13 under which the county assessor determines the base year value of a manufactured home, which is generally the market value at the time of purchase. Thereafter, annual increases to the base year value are limited to the inflation rate, as measured by the California Consumer Price Index, or 2 percent, whichever is less.

Any new construction will have its own separate base year value. When the manufactured home is sold, it will be reassessed at its current fair market value and a new base year value will be established. If your manufactured home is located on land that you own, the land will be assessed separately. If you live in a tenant-owned mobilehome park, a different valuation rule may apply. The basic structure is assessable.

Also assessable are all accessories, including, but not limited to: awnings, fences, windbreakers, storage cabinets, heaters, carport, water coolers, cabanas, porches, and skirting. Section 5803(b) of the Revenue and Taxation Code specifically provides that the assessed value of a manufactured home on leased or rental land is not to include any value attributable to the particular site where the home is located. Thus, the county assessor must not increase the value because of positive site influence nor decrease the value because of negative site influence.

Renters Tax Rebates are Available

Owners of mobile homes who are renting space in a mobile home park may apply for renters tax credits when the Internal Revenue Service or the State Franchise Tax Board offers them.

The Sate of California Franchise Tax Board lists the following criteria to qualify for the tax credit:

  • You were a California resident for the entire year.
  • Your California adjusted gross income (AGI) is:
    • $38,259 or less if your filing status is single or married/RDP filing separately.
    • $76,518 or less if you are married/RDP filing jointly, head of household, or qualified widow(er).
  • You paid rent for at least half the year for property in California that was your principal residence.
  • The property you rented was not exempt from California property tax.
  • You did not live with another person for more than half the year (such as a parent) who claimed you as a dependent.
  • You were not a minor living with and under the care of a parent, foster parent, or legal guardian.
  • You or your spouse/RDP was not granted a homeowner’s property tax exemption during the tax year.
  • You may still qualify for the credit if your spouse/RDP claimed a homeowner’s exemption and you maintained a separate residence for the entire year.

For more detailed information, forms, and assistance, homeowners and renters should visit the Franchise Tax Board website at: or call 1-800-868-4171.