Financial Assistance

What state/local financial assistance is available to low-income mobilehome owners? Some programs that provide financial assistance to low-income or senior park residents include:

  • C.A.R.E. Utility Assistance: Low-income residents of master-meter mobilehome parks may qualify annually for a 20% discount on their electric or gas bills through the California Alternate Rates for Energy Program (care). For more information, check with your park management or the local gas or electric utility company listed in your phone directory.
  • Mobilehome Rehabilitation: Loans or grants are available to low-income mobilehome owners through the Department of Housing and Community Development’s CalHome program to make specified repairs on their mobilehomes. Although not all jurisdictions participate, the funds are channeled through qualified local government housing or non-profit agencies. For more information, check with your city or county housing department, authority or commission.
  • Mobilehome Park Resident Ownership Program (MPROP): On a limited basis, this program provides loans to resident organizations and non-profit organizations and 3% simple interest loans to low-income homeowners for costs involving the resident or non-profit purchase of a mobilehome park. For more information about the MPROP process and requirements, call the Department of Housing and Community Development at 916.323.3178, or at
  • Section 8 Housing Assistance: Rent subsidies may be available to eligible low-income mobilehome residents who live in mobilehome parks. This program is funded by the federal government but administered by local housing agencies. Section 8 allocations are often full and many jurisdictions have waiting lists of a year or more. Not all mobilehome park owners accept Section 8 vouchers. For more information, check with your city or county housing department, authority or commission.

Resource: What Every Mobile Home Owner Should Know, published by the Senate Select Committee on Manufactured Home Communities

Need help paying your utility bills? CARE/FERA might be the answer for you.

The California Alternate Rate for Energy (CARE) program offers a discount of at least 20% off your electric bill, for low-income qualified customers.  To enroll by mail Click Here and download the form.

If CARE is not right for you, and you are a family of three or more you might qualify for FERA, Family Electric Rate Assistance program. They function much the same way.

You must meet the monthly income requirements to qualify. See the chart below. You may also visit Southern California Edison’s website for more information.

Maximum Household Income
Effective From June 1, 2012 to May 31, 2013

Number of Persons
in Household

Total Combined Annual Income




up to $22,340 Not Eligible


up to $30,260 Not Eligible


up to $38,180 $38,181 – $47,725


up to $46,100 $46,101 – $57,625


up to $54,020 $54,021 – $67,525


up to $61,940 $61,941 – $77,425


up to $69,860 $69,861 – $87,325


up to $77,780 $77,781 – $97,225

Each additional person

$7,920 $ 7,920 – $ 9,900